When to say YES, When to say NO; to take control of your life.
New York Times Best Selling Book – Boundaries, by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend, addresses specific issues that confront today’s Christians.
Issues such as:
– Living a life out of control
– Having people take advantage of us
– Having trouble saying no
– Being disappointed with God because of unanswered prayers…and many more vital issues.
A boundary is a personal property line that marks those things for which we are responsible. In other words, boundaries define who we are and who we are not.
They impact all areas of our lives:
- Physical boundaries help us determine who may touch us and under what circumstances.
- Mental boundaries give us the freedom to have our own thoughts and opinions.
- Emotional boundaries help us deal with our own emotions and disengage from the harmful, manipulative emotions of others.
- Spiritual boundaries help us to distinguish God’s will from our own and give us renewed awe for our Creator.
Having clear boundaries is essential to a healthy, balanced lifestyle, isn’t it? Often, Christians focus so much on being loving and unselfish that they forget their own limits and limitations. When confronted with their lack of boundaries they ask:
– Can I set limits and still be a loving person?
– What are legitimate boundaries?
– What if someone is upset or hurt by my boundaries?
– How do I answer someone who wants my time, love, energy, or money?
– Aren’t boundaries selfish?
– Why do I feel guilty or afraid when I consider setting boundaries?