The Care and Feeding of Healthy Kids and Grandkids – Dr. John Townsend
The Care and Feeding of Healthy Kids and Grandkids
John Townsend, Ph.D.
Families of means are tasked with not one, but two legacies: your children (and grandkids) and your resources. This was part of God’s structure from the beginning, when He gave these two directives to Adam and Eve: “’Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it…” (Gen.1:28). You want your kids to take their roles in filling the earth with God’s love and truth and their own passions and skills. You also want to help Him subdue the workings of the earth with your own resources and assets.
So how do you accomplish the first part, making great kids who will be part of this legacy? There is a great deal of confusion and misdirection on this in our current culture. But God has created a growth structure with clear directions that can help every Gathering parent, no matter whether your kids or grandkids are 1 or 31.
There are 6 skills every young person must have, in order to meet the demands of reality that are ahead of them. Ultimately, parenting is about the future, not about today. So do your best to help them acquire these skills and good things will happen. Here is the overview, based on concepts from Henry Cloud’s and my book “Raising Great Kids”:
1. Connectedness. God designed us all to be connected in head and heart to others. Kids and young people need to experience what a transparent and authentic relationship is, in order to be healthy and avoid attachment disorders and alienation. When they have a hard time with relationship, their lives suffer: “But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up” (Eccles. 4:10).
2. Responsibility. Life requires taking ownership of our lives, time and energy. Kids need to be helped in taking responsibility for their actions, and in being able to handle the “no” of a parent. Without this skill, they run the risk of behavioral issues and underachievement: “For each one should carry their own load” (Gal. 6:5).
3. Reality. Unfortunately, we don’t raise children in a perfect world. Our kids are let down by others, they let others down, and they let themselves down. Successful families help their kids to not only win and hit the home runs of life, but also to face tough realities and deal with imperfections in themselves and others. Otherwise, kids run the risk of becoming perfectionists and self-judging people: “Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees” (Heb. 12:2).
4. Competence. God designed us to find, develop and express our gifts and talents to make the world a better place, in career, job and service activity. This means kids need to learn what they are good at, and just as importantly, to learn a work ethic and how to roll up their sleeves and focus on task completion. Without this skill, they often suffer dissatisfaction and lack of direction in their careers: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters” (Col. 3:23).
5. Morality. Life requires a way to make decisions on a biblical system of morality. Kids will have to deal with financial, ethical, personal and cultural complexities. Help them have a way to think on these matters: “Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord” (Psa. 119:1).
6. Spirituality. God has no grandchildren. Part of parenting is to model, teach and guide our kids to receiving Christ’s salvation, growing in grace, and following God’s direction. There are ways to help your kids, no matter their age, find and follow the Lord: Walk the walk, and talk the talk: “…bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord” (Eph. 6:4).
The family is an oven, with all the right ingredients to create a great adult out of a great kid. Construct your oven to have these 6 ingredients.
If you want more practical info on how to execute the 6 ingredients, I’ll see you at the Gathering Conference in Orlando this September. I will be conducting a breakout session on providing the hands-on tools and takeaways involved, no matter what your kids’ ages and stages. God bless you and see you at the Conference!
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
tip bong da nuoc ngoaiNovember 6, 2017 at 10:55 pm
Hello, I enjoy reading through your article.
I wanted to write a little comment to support you.
Live Online PsychicNovember 17, 2017 at 1:25 pm
My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I should check things out.
I like what I see so now i am following you.
Look forward to looking over your web page repeatedly.
Psychicoz feedbackNovember 21, 2017 at 4:13 pm
Hiya! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask.
Would you be interested in trading links or
maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa? My blog addresses
a lot of the same subjects as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.
If you might be interested feel free to shoot me an email.
I look forward to hearing from you! Awesome blog by the way!
Winfred TenerNovember 28, 2017 at 12:28 pm
We both suffered for a long time. Until we started learning ==> https://tinyurl.com/yddu8bbh
We found a deeper relationship!
obat penggugur kandungan ampuhDecember 5, 2017 at 6:34 am
What’s up to every one, the contents present at this web site are
actually awesome for people experience, well, keep up the nice work fellows.
www.musical-instruments.onlineDecember 5, 2017 at 5:01 pm
Hello, i think that i saw you visited my web site so
i came to “return the favor”.I’m attempting to find things to improve my site!I suppose its ok to use some of your
http://muahatdieurangmuoi.weebly.comDecember 7, 2017 at 3:56 pm
I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!
I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later on. All the best
www.autotechnics-berlin.deDecember 8, 2017 at 7:00 am
Direct the view returning to your blog post so they can share their thoughts
about your statement. The three basic colors employed for reproduction are cyan, magenta and yellow.
Roughly equal amounts of the three primary colors give rise on the
perception of white.
Dllstore.NetDecember 9, 2017 at 3:28 pm
Hello, i read your blog occasionally and
i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you
get a lot of spam remarks? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?
I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any help is very
All DaCARBO instruments are offered by Musical-Instruments.OnlineDecember 10, 2017 at 5:14 pm
This is the perfect site for everyone who hopes to find out about
this topic. You know so much its almost hard to
argue with you (not that I personally would want to…HaHa).
You definitely put a brand new spin on a subject that’s been discussed for
ages. Great stuff, just excellent!
https://www.facebook.com/1349304701841923December 22, 2017 at 11:03 pm
It’s remarkable designed for me to have a website, which
is useful in support of my experience. thanks
The Care and Feeding of Healthy Kids and GrandkidsJanuary 15, 2018 at 3:33 pm
super article spinner
I found a great…
The Care and Feeding of Healthy Kids and GrandkidsJanuary 18, 2018 at 8:36 am
I found a great…
how to get more likes on facebook postsJanuary 18, 2018 at 10:14 pm
I definitely wanted to compose a quick message to be able to appreciate you for all the superb guides you are giving out at this site. My long internet lookup has now been recognized with useful information to go over with my visitors. I would suppose that many of us readers actually are truly fortunate to be in a magnificent community with very many lovely professionals with insightful advice. I feel quite blessed to have encountered the site and look forward to so many more enjoyable minutes reading here. Thanks once more for a lot of things.
AshleighFebruary 6, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Meine Coder auf überzeugen versucht, mir zu .net von PHP zu
bewegen. Ich war schon immer mochte die Idee, wwil der Kosten Kosten. Aber
er ist tryiohg nichtsdestoweniger. Ich habe mitt Movable-Typp
um zahlreichrr verschiedenen Websites für etwa ein Jahr und bin ängstlich besorgt über
ddie Umstellung auf eine andere Plattform.
Dinge über blogengine.net Ich habe ausgezeichneten gehört.
Gibt es eine Möglichkeit, ich kann import alle meine WordPress
content hinein? Jede Art von Hife wäre wirklich sehr geschätzt!
GennieFebruary 10, 2018 at 7:48 am
Hallo Hätten Sie etwas dagegen ließ mich wissen, welche Web-Host Sie Verwendung?
Ich habe einen Blog geladen in 3 verschiedene Browser und ich muss sagen, dieses
Blog lädt viel schneler schneller als die meisten. Können Sie schlagen empfehlen eine gjte Webhosting zu einem ehrlichen Preis?
Kudos, ich schätze es!
youjizzFebruary 11, 2018 at 6:48 pm
Ηi there! I’m at work browsing your blog fгom myy new iphone 4!
Juѕt ѡanted to sаy I love redading yоur blog and ⅼook forward to
alⅼ yоur posts! Keеp up the gгeat ԝork!
http://www.rioneportamarina.it/?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=264006February 14, 2018 at 3:30 am
ich wirklich Ihre Website .. Sehrr schön Frben und Thema.
Haben Sie build Dise Webseite bewerten sich selbst?
Bitte antworten Sie miir zurück, aals ich mich auf versuchen erstellen meine ganz eigene Webseite und würde gerne wissen, herauszufinden, wo Sie habe diese von oder
genau das, wass ddas Thrma heißt. Prost!
Obat aborsi di bandungFebruary 18, 2018 at 3:47 am
Wonderful post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more
on this topic? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further.
JodieFebruary 20, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Ich bin sicher, diese Schriftstück berührt hat all das Internst Benutzer,
es ist wirklich sehr schön anspruchsvollen Absatz auff den Aufbau
The Care and Feeding of Healthy Kids and GrandkidsFebruary 20, 2018 at 9:34 pm
I found a great…
The Care and Feeding of Healthy Kids and GrandkidsFebruary 20, 2018 at 10:02 pm
I found a great…
RomeoFebruary 22, 2018 at 9:29 pm
If you’re a fan of hot tempered bitches then check.
Olevia MutchFebruary 22, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Hey there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing many months of hard work due to no data backup. Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?
Vincenza DannenfelserFebruary 23, 2018 at 8:11 am
Out of my notice, shopping for electronic devices online can for sure be expensive, nonetheless there are some tips and tricks that you can use to obtain the best bargains. There are generally ways to locate discount bargains that could help make one to possess the best electronic devices products at the cheapest prices. Great blog post.
herenfiets aanbieding gazelleFebruary 27, 2018 at 10:11 pm
Een voorbeeld: dе Sparta Amazone 2004 іs een ɑndere fiets
dɑn de Sparta Amazone model 2005.
pornFebruary 28, 2018 at 8:08 pm
What i ddo nnot understood іѕ actuallу hoԝ үⲟu are noѡ
not actսally much moге smartly-preferred tһan you may be
now. Yoս’re ѵery intelligent. You recognize therefοre sіgnificantly ߋn thе subject of this matter,
produced mе in my view imagine it frоm numerous vаrious angles.
Its like women and men are not fascinated excеpt it iѕ somеthing to accomplish ith Woman gaga!
Your ownn stuffs nice. Αlways handle іt uρ!